Sleep issues are a major health problem in our society. Loud snoring can be one of them. Currently, it’s estimated that 1 in 12 U.S. citizens have moderate to severe sleep apnea. The disorder disrupts sleep and can lead to a variety of complications. Your doctor would best be able to prescribe treatment options for the disorder. However, there are some at-home remedies that, not only may improve sleep apnea symptoms, but may improve overall health.
- Stop smoking: Smoking inflames the upper airways of the lungs. This can aggravate symptoms.
- Cut back on alcohol: Alcohol messes with muscle tone in the back of the throat, which can cause issues with air flow.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Studies have shown that being overweight can worsen symptoms.
- Stay on top of allergies: Nasal allergies can complicate symptoms, particularly loud snoring. This is because allergies cause the upper throat to swell and makes the airways narrower. This makes breathing harder.
- Keep a consistent sleep routine: While loud snoring and sleep disruptions make getting enough sleep more difficult, it’s important to keep a consistent sleep pattern.
Signs and symptoms of sleep apnea include waking up with a dry/sore throat, loud snoring, morning headaches, and waking up with a choking or gasping sensation. For those who feel they may have sleep apnea, be sure to see a doctor. He or she will be able to advise more advanced treatment options for sleep apnea should they be needed.