As we get older, some memory loss is to be expected. Genetics play a major role in how our minds age. However, diet and lifestyle also make a big impact. Below are some tips to keep cognitive function as sharp as possible:
- Get enough sleep: Lack of sleep has long been linked with memory issues.
- Try fish oil: Talk to your doctor to see if taking a fish oil supplement is right for you. The omega-3s present in fish oil may help improve memory in older adults.
- Cut back on sugar: Too much sugar intake has been linked to memory issues.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Being overweight has been shown to affect memory.
- Exercise: Exercise can help with blood flow and circulation, which may help with memory issues. Talk to your doctor about what exercises are right for you.
- Pay attention to vitamin-D levels: Cognitive issues can be a sign of vitamin-D deficiency.
- Be a life-long learner: Learning new things helps engage the mind and keep it running smoothly. Without engagement, the mind can become lax. It’s like how muscles weaken without exercise.
Memory issues do not have to be a given with age. Lifestyle choices can make a big impact on cognitive function.